Come in from the cold and warm up with this satisfying,no-fuss dish. Sarah Lee Greenberg of Cooperstown, Pennsylvania writes, “I remember my mother fixing this dish when I was a little girl, and now I cook it for my husband.”
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomato sauce, beans, water, garlic powder, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until flavors are blended. Serve with rice. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Over Rice in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p55
Reviews for Sausage Over Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review