- 2 pounds fresh Polish sausage
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage until a thermometer reads 160°; drain. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-inch pieces; return to pan. Stir in the sauerkraut, tomatoes with liquid, celery, onion, green pepper, brown sugar and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.
Originally published as Sausage 'n' Sauerkraut in Taste of Home December/January 1994, p59
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sausage 'n' Sauerkraut
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2012
Good and easy.
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2009
This is one of our staple recipes. It's consistently wonderful. Sometimes I substitute Italian sausabe for the Polish sausage.