Sauerkraut Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound mild Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled and quartered
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the apples, sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sauerkraut Casserole(17)
Sort By :
Very tasty! Will use less sugar though next time. Is more of a side dish than a main course, but satisfying.
Yummy. I used half the sugar and cooked mine on the stove instead of the oven. I forgot to rinse and drain the sauerkraut, but it didn't seem to matter. Next time I might dice the apples.
We loved it. Cooked it as the recipe says and don't regret it.
This was a fabulous recipe that my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed. I did prepare mine slightly differently. I left my sausages whole and browned them by themselves. When they were done I removed the sausages and added the onion and apples to the browned bits of sausage that was left in the pan. Cooked for a few then added the remaining ingredients. Then cut the links onto small serving sized pieces and added them to the skillet as well.
I also decreased the sugar to less than 1/4 cup and used apple juice and chicken stock in place of the water. I did not use the caraway seeds and I would caution the amount.
I too served it over mashed potatoes. Next time I will add some carrot to the mix as well.
I served this on top of mashed potatoes.