It takes only minutes to ready round steak for the slow cooker, then it simmers to a tasty tenderness most of the day. Tip: Lind Bloom of McHenry, Illinois says the flavorful beef strips and sauce are nice over hot rice.
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 3-inch x 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 10 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the gravy mix, brown sugar, 2 cups water, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; stir into gravy mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve with noodles. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Round Steak Sauerbraten in Quick Cooking May/June 2005, p10
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Round Steak Sauerbraten
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review