Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add all remaining ingredients except gingersnaps; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 3 hour.
- During the last 30 minutes, stir in gingersnaps. Remove meat; discard bay leaves and cloves. While slicing meat, bring gravy to a boil to reduce and thicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 229 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Oct 2, 2016
Great flavor and nice texture on the meat.
Nov 4, 2014
Delicious and easy!!
Jan 28, 2014
Easy & just as delicious as the recipes requiring marinating for 3 days. I marinated mine overnight for extra flavor. Without marinating, most of the sauerbraten flavor is in the gravy rather than in the meat. I didn't make a spice sachet; rather, I strained the cooking liquid then thickened. Easy & delicious.
Oct 29, 2012
This sauerbraten is so delicious:P My family request this recipe often. This is great for Octoberfest with all the Germans sides:P
Feb 17, 2010
This was the best tasting and most tender roast we have ever had! Wonderful!!
Nov 6, 2008
This sauerbraten was heaven for our taste buds! Great in the fall, too.