- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium butternut squash (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, oil and salt. Add squash; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased, foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine red peppers, pine nuts, green onions, dill, parsley, squash and rice. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Roasted Butternut Squash & Rice Salad
"This was good. I didn't have the pine nuts or fresh dill but it turned out pretty good."
"This recipe is awesome! I didn't have some ingredients so I used the pre-cooked, packaged Quinoa and brown rice, dried dill and parsley I had on hand. I will recommend this to everyone"
"Thank you, this is a keeper!"
"I made this exactly as written....Fantastic!!! I put over fresh spinach for a terrific salad to take to work. Sometimes top with a little cubed chicken. Satisfying and delicious!!!"
"Took this to a potluck this morning and it was a crowd pleaser. Prepared the squash last night and refrigerated overnight to cut down on prep time this morning. Great flavors."
"This was so quick and easy. It was scrumptious!"
"I was worried about the combination of flavors but it turned out fantastic. I had to use dried dill and unfortunately didn't have any nuts because I think the crunch would have been nice. Fantastic flavor!"
"I'd like to make this for a potluck and make it the night before - does the rice get hard if left in the refrigerator overnight or does the dressing keep it soft? Also, for those that used quinoa, did you cook it in water or broth? Thanks!"
"My daughter is a vegetarian and I was looking for a great recipe we could all eat. I found it. We absolutely love this recipe. I cut the olive oil in the dressing down to 1/4 cup and add extra veggies. This time I added some fresh green beans which I blanched and chopped. It works to eat at room temperature or cold."
"I made this for the first time for my book club of 12 women and it was a real winner complete with requests for the recipe. I changed the rice to basmati, but all else the same."