We have end-of-season picnics for my son's flag football team. This makes enough to serve plenty of hungry boys and their families. — Dolores Deifel, Mundelein, Illinois
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium butternut squash (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, oil and salt. Add squash; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased, foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine red peppers, pine nuts, green onions, dill, parsley, squash and rice. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Roasted Butternut Squash & Rice Salad in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p79
Reviews for Roasted Butternut Squash & Rice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review