- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 dressed rabbit (about 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add rabbit and enough water to cover. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Add the sausage, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Remove rabbit. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Stir in okra; bring to a boil. Serve in bowls over rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Rabbit Gumbo in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p37
Reviews for Rabbit Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2012
"I've made this recipe with rabbit and squirrel, depending on my luck hunting. It's always a big hit with the family and friends brave, and fortunate enough to try it."