- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 dressed rabbit (about 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add rabbit and enough water to cover. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Add the sausage, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Remove rabbit. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Stir in okra; bring to a boil. Serve in bowls over rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Rabbit Gumbo in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p37
Reviews for Rabbit Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2015
"A big hit. It was gone in no time"
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2012
"I've made this recipe with rabbit and squirrel, depending on my luck hunting. It's always a big hit with the family and friends brave, and fortunate enough to try it."