We were always glad to see a big bowl of this festive rice on the table. The carrots, peas and tomatoes make it so pretty. This versatile side dish goes great with any meat or Mexican meal. — Jerri Moror, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup diced cooked carrots
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute rice in oil until lightly browned. Add the onion, garlic and salt if desired; cook over low heat until onion is tender.
- Add water and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until water is almost absorbed. Stir in the tomatoes, peas and carrots; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Rice in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p35
Reviews for Quick Spanish Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review