- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 20 miniature peanut butter cups, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 can (16 ounces) milk chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter and egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes or until no longer crumbly. Stir in peanut butter cups.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, caramel topping and peanut butter; stir until smooth. Cook over low heat for 25-27 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil; stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in peanuts.
- Spread evenly over warm crust. Bake 6-7 minutes longer or until almost set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Spread with frosting; sprinkle with peanuts. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Peanut Butter Caramel Bars
Sort By :
"Delicious! Make sure you have a glass of milk handy!!"
"Excellent! But with these ingredients, was there ever any doubt?"
"Looks and tastes yummy. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU DIFFERENT SIZES TO PRINT RECIPES????"
"This recipe is nearly identical to one I submitted to the Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1993! Leave out the cornstarch, & only cook the caramels & peanut butter until the caramels are melted. I added 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips to the canned frosting & warmed it over low heat until the chips melted. Gave it additional chocolate flavor! The peanuts are a nice addition! These bars are addictive!"
"Recipe sounds wonderful but wondering if directions are correct--cook caramel and pb for 25 -27 minutes? Sounds a bit long . . ."