- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta (about 12 ounces)
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 cups shredded fontina or provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, drain tomatoes, reserving juices; coarsely chop tomatoes. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble sausage with onion, carrot, celery and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in tomato paste, seasonings, chopped tomatoes and reserved juices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans and 1/4 cup each Parmesan cheese and parsley. Stir in pasta. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with fontina cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pasta Fagioli al Forno
"This was so flavorful and delicious! Followed the ingredients and directions closely- used hot Italian sausage, added some red wine in while cooking the sausage and used a blend of Fontina, Mozzarella , and Parmesan for the top. I highly recommend this pasta bake- easy, yummy and a little different with the beans added in. I will make this often."