Zuppa di Fagioli
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and cheese. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear; drain and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the leeks, carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, broths, tomatoes, spinach, basil, parsley, salt, pepper and reserved meatballs. Cover and cook until spinach is tender and meatballs are heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 141 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 20, 2013
My husband loves this soup. I substituted chard for spinach because that's what I had on hand. I now make this every other week. It's our favorite; restaurant quality.
Nov 9, 2011
A great tasting and simple to make soup. I used 1/2 pound of sausage instead of 1/4 lb. I was able to make 35 small meatballs. Even more sausage would have been a little better.