Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 fresh strawberries
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine pudding mix, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Gradually stir in pudding. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thickened. Fold in sliced strawberries. Transfer to crust.
- For topping, in another bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup whipped topping and vanilla until smooth. Fold in remaining whipped topping. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a medium star tip. Fill with topping. Pipe topping around edges of pie; garnish with whole strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie
Sort By :
Switched pudding for marscapone cheese mixed with vanilla, for truly scrumptious dessert .
Also made own jelly, to avoid aspatimine/sweetener poisoning (even children's vitamins contain it?) .
2cups strawberries hulled and quartered, in bowl over simmering water for an hour, to extract juice....cool and strained thru muslin (never press or squeeze, as will be cloudy), for clear juice, add lemon juice and liquid of choice to make 600ml. I have used Rose water! White wine, sparkling water with elderflower cordial! sometimes all that's needed is water. As sweet enough.
In cold water 4 sheets gelatine soak until pliable, add to cooling strawberry juice mix, allow to cool until thickened, but pourable then pour over constructed pie, allow to set and top with cream etc as above.
Has anyone ever tried using instant pudding for this recipe?
It sounds wonderful...will have to try it!!
I had never made strawberry pie before, but this was excellent. I did follow some tips from previous reviewers...I also used a small box of regular strawberry gelatin (not sugar-free) & it was not too sweet. I also thought the pudding/gelatin mix was too thin after only 30 minutes in the fridge, so I left it in there over an hour. The pie was still runny, but I purposely made it a day before. I used a bought graham cracker crust, let it sit over night in the fridge (covered) & it was completely solid, perfect for our 4th of July picnic. People loved it. I would make this again for sure.
Made this pie for daughter's potluck at school, and it was a hit. There were no leftovers, and as soon as people realized I made it they asked me for the recipe. One thing I noticed was it needed MUCH more time to set. I wish I would've made it earlier that day so it could've cooled in the refrigerator for several hours before I had to go. Still, great recipe! Oh, I used regular strawberry jello, and it didn't taste too sweet. Delicious. ;)
More Recipe Collections
- Berry Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >