Oatmeal Yeast Bread Recipe
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups plus 2 teaspoons old-fashioned oats, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk, water and shortening to a boil. Meanwhile, combine 2 cups oats, brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the milk mixture; let stand until mixture reaches 110°-115°. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into two loaves; transfer to greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Brush with egg; sprinkle with remaining oats. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Oatmeal Yeast Bread(3)
Sort By :
De-lish! AND my kids asked me to make it again! That's a winner in my book. Just one tiny modification - I used 1 Tablespoon yeast (almost 2 pkgs.) with 1/4 tsp sugar and let it proof for 10 minutes. The dough rose nicely for both risings. Thanks for the great recipe!
This bread gets a 5+ from my family. It's texture and flavor are wonderful. Especially right from the oven. The only problem I've encountered is it does take along time to rise. Much more than the hour mentioned in the recipe. It's worth it. Just plan to make it on a day you will be home and not in a hurry.
I loved this bread the only thing I did different was to subdstitute 1 cup of oat flour for 1 cup of the plain.We served ours right away with good olive oil and it was wonderful. This will be a very versatile bread you can use for any meal or snack. Loved it.