- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt, pepper and 2-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, onion and remaining flour, forming a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball; place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cool in baking dish 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in heavy-duty foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for No-Knead Casserole Bread
"Sadly, this just did not turn out well for me. Honestly, it was more of an epic fail that ended up in the garbage. I baked it as directed, but the inside was still very doughy. I put it back in for 20 more minutes and it was still the exact same inside but outside had browned too much and was super hard. And by that time, we had finished eating the rest of our meal anyway. Be sure to "eat your wheaties" before trying to stir up the dough by hand and I'm pretty sure the loaf weighed a good 43 pounds or so, lol."
"This is so good and very easy to make. The first time I made it exactly as the recipe called for. Delicious-nice crust on top and a very dense bread inside. The second time I left out the onion but added some sliced green onions and chives for a bit more color. I also added 1 tsp of dill and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder. We ate almost the entire loaf that night......"