- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese, onion and remaining flour; beat until smooth.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a ball. Place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove from dish to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for No-Knead Casserole Bread
Sort By :
"This is so good and very easy to make. The first time I made it exactly as the recipe called for. Delicious-nice crust on top and a very dense bread inside. The second time I left out the onion but added some sliced green onions and chives for a bit more color. I also added 1 tsp of dill and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder. We ate almost the entire loaf that night......"
"Made this yesterday for the first time. It's a very dense bread, but it was liked by all at dinner. Tastes just as good the next day at room temperature with a bit of butter on it."