- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour [TC: thinking 4.5 cups flour would be best for this recipe; it was originally published at 5.5 cups]
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- [TC: when you are assigned this recipe, please email PW and I'll fwd you the email exchange from IY regarding back story]
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt, pepper and 2-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Stir down batter; stir in 3/4 cup cheese and onion. Shape dough into a ball; place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes [TC: please verify this very short rise time]. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cool in baking dish 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for No-Knead Casserole Bread
Sort By :
"This is so good and very easy to make. The first time I made it exactly as the recipe called for. Delicious-nice crust on top and a very dense bread inside. The second time I left out the onion but added some sliced green onions and chives for a bit more color. I also added 1 tsp of dill and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder. We ate almost the entire loaf that night......"
"Made this yesterday for the first time. It's a very dense bread, but it was liked by all at dinner. Tastes just as good the next day at room temperature with a bit of butter on it."