- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese, onion and remaining flour; beat until smooth.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a ball. Place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove from dish to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as No-Knead Casserole Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p58
Reviews for No-Knead Casserole Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 31, 2011
Made this yesterday for the first time. It's a very dense bread, but it was liked by all at dinner. Tastes just as good the next day at room temperature with a bit of butter on it.