- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt, pepper and 2-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, onion and remaining flour, forming a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball; place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cool in baking dish 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in heavy-duty foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for No-Knead Casserole Bread
Sort By :
"This is so good and very easy to make. The first time I made it exactly as the recipe called for. Delicious-nice crust on top and a very dense bread inside. The second time I left out the onion but added some sliced green onions and chives for a bit more color. I also added 1 tsp of dill and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder. We ate almost the entire loaf that night......"
"Made this yesterday for the first time. It's a very dense bread, but it was liked by all at dinner. Tastes just as good the next day at room temperature with a bit of butter on it."