- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Separate one egg; set the white aside. In a small bowl, beat the yolk and remaining eggs just until combined. Blend in the sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in milk. Beat reserved egg white until stiff peaks form; fold into egg mixture.
- Carefully pour into crust. Cover edges of pie with foil. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Custard Pie
Sort By :
"Here are some tips that I would like to share regarding my experience in making this. 1) If you have some pie weights, use them instead of the foil, my crust bubbled up as the foil is not heavy enough. 2) You can use either a regular pie crust or a deep dish. I used a regular pie crust and I had extra. I did not put all of it in the crust. 3) The pie will not settle until you take it out of the oven and let it sit. It will be "jiggly". I actually put mine for 20 more minutes because I thought it's not cooked yet. It still turned out fine. I'm not sure that sure if you can overcook it. You might have some browning on top though.I had some people tell me that it lacks flavor. I agree that it could be richer. I did not put the nutmeg because I thought it might overpower the pie. If I'm going to make it again, I would increase the sugar another 1/4 cup, increase the vanilla another 1/2 teaspoon, decrease the milk to 2 cups and add another egg yolk."
"We tried this recipe Sunday for our dessert and I doubled the recipe to make two 9 inch deep dish crust pies and they was delicious I'm going to make a couple more today very good pie and you should have everything you need except for maybe pie shell."
"Dont get it, it calls for 1 pie shell. The mixture did not fit in one 9" pie crust. Also could not fold in the stiff egg white.....am I missing something here? Are you suppose to do this over the stove? Whats the secrete cuz I followed the recipe as stated."
"I am 77 and made this pie today. It turned out fabulous. I will be making it again real soon. Easy to make and delicious."
"SO FAR ITS IN THE OVEN AND I HAVE A GRANDDAUGHTER TEN WAITIING PATIENTLY. LOL WILL UPDATE MY REVIEW AFTER WE TASTE IT."