"I found a recipe for a layered veggie casserole, then modified it to use produce I had on hand," says Marilou Robinson of Portland, Oregon. "I sometimes sprinkle bread crumbs or grated cheese on top for a tasty variation."
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup canned sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Place half in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oregano, salt and pepper. Sprinkle half over vegetables in the baking dish. Layer with remaining vegetables and seasoning mixture. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mixed Vegetable Casserole in Country Woman July/August 2002, p40
Reviews for Mixed Vegetable Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2010
"This came out great and it was not a lot of work at all! I'm always happy to have a tasty way to prep veggies!"