This hot dish is convenient because it's made in the microwave. It has nice flavor and looks good, too. Even though I've been making it for more than 10 years, I still get requests for it.—Mary Bondegard, Brooksville, Florida
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside. Crumble sausage into an ungreased 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add onions and mushrooms to drippings. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring twice. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add broth and cream. Cover and cook on high for 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring twice. Stir in rice and sausage. Cover and microwave on high for 7-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sausage and Wild Rice in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p123
Reviews for Microwave Sausage and Wild Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review