- 1 package corn husks
- 3 cups Masa Harina flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup lard or shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground pork or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Immerse husks in water; cover. Soak overnight.
- Mix flour and water to form dough; cover. Let stand 30 minutes. In large bowl, beat lard and salt until mixture resembles beaten egg whites (about 6 minutes). Add dough 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly.
- In large skillet, cook the pork, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Pat husks dry with paper towels and spread about 2 tablespoons dough (1/8- to 1/16-in. thick) on each, leaving 1-in. border. Top with 1 tablespoon filling. Roll. Tie in center.
- Place upright, folded end down, in Dutch oven with steam rack or oven-proof inverted plate on bottom. Add 1 cup water or chicken broth. Bring to boil; cover and steam for 45 minutes, adding water as needed. When done, husk should peel back easily from dough. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Mexican Tamales
Sort By :
"It looks like she means asterisks, but I don't see any either. Do Mexican tamale recipes usually have almonds and apples in them?"
"ednal ,what do you mean .what is the (s) are you seeing something i aint"
"I was able to find all at my local walmart"
"I have actually found both the husks and the masa in my local grocers (big ones) - they are cheaper at a mexican market - sasha"
"I'm going to guess that maybe those are specialty items that you could find in your international foods section or at a Mexican grocery? "