Mexican Flank Steak Tacos Recipe
Here's a traditional Mexican main dish prepared with a twist! The fruity salsa cools off the spicy pesto, and in my opinion, definitely makes the dish. Try it on chicken or pork, too. —Steve Meredith, Streamwood, Illinois
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 to 2 pounds)
- CILANTRO PESTO:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium mango, peeled and halved
- 2/3 pound fresh pineapple, cut into 3 spears
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled pitted and halved
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add the steak; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the cilantro, habanero, garlic, salt and pepper in a small food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- For salsa, grill the mango, pineapple and avocado, covered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place onion in a small bowl. Chop the grilled fruit and avocado; add to bowl. Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat for about 1 minute on each side or until warm.
- Thinly slice beef across the grain; place on tortillas. Top with salsa and pesto. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Flank Steak Tacos in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p213
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mexican Flank Steak Tacos(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Beef Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Beef Recipes >
- Grilled Fruit >
- Grilled Mango >
- Grilled Pineapple >
- Grilled Steak Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >