- 1 medium acorn squash
- 4 medium carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Cut each half crosswise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place squash, carrots and onion in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan; top with chicken, skin side down. Roast 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over; drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 25-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Maple-Roasted Chicken & Acorn Squash
"I needed to use up an acorn squash from our summer garden, and this was just perfect -- with the addition of the five spice powder recommended by another reviewer, as well as some cubed butternut squash I had in the freezer. I used boneless, skinless thighs because it was what I had on hand, and they worked just fine. If I make this again, I will add salt and pepper to the vegetables before placing the chicken on top. I felt they needed more salt once the dish was cooked. Otherwise very easy to make and tasty! I served with some brown rice I had already cooked. Could easily add a steamed green veggie and/or a salad."
"A wonderful fall dinner that brings out the maple flavor. Very easy to prepare."
"Great, easy recipe. Had to use a larger pan as I also added some red potato chunks . Put all the chicken thighs on one side of the long pan & all the veggies on the other side of the pan. I did like the taste of the maple syrup & used sugar free . I even drizzled the maple syrup over all the veggies , so they also had a great flavor. I also read last week, that the skin of the acorn squash is edible, which I did not know, so you eat the whole pieces of squash in this dish. With the longer pan, mine was done in the 25 mins., testing the chicken with an instant read thermometer. Thanks for the recipe."
"This recipe is so good and easy. It took a little longer to bake, but I think next time I'm going to use a larger pan than what is called out to help. I also coated the chicken in Chinese 5-spice which made the savory flavors even better."
"My sister made this today for us and it was wonderful. And I don't usually like acorn squash. She did use boneless chicken thighs."
"Haven't made yet, but tomorrow night I will. Only have chicken breasts on hand so will sub for thighs as my husband isn't a fan of them. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Love this recipe! I have made a similar recipe for years that uses sweet potato and thyme. I enjoyed this recipe even more! It's easier and quicker to put together. A definite keeper!"
"This was so easy to make!! I threw in some sweet potatoes too. Very good."