Chicken with Sugar Pumpkins & Apricots
When we have family gatherings, we give the slow cooker kitchen duty. This yummy chicken with pumpkin and apricots has the warm flavors of Morocco. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours.
- 3 Sugar Baby pumpkins, peeled and cubed (5 to 6 cups each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dried Turkish apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, optional
- Place pumpkin in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken thighs on all sides. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. In same skillet, saute onions and garlic 1-2 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Add next eight ingredients to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-5 hours. Top with parsley. If desired, serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Editor’s Note: If Sugar Baby pumpkins are unavailable, you may substitute one large (5-6 pound) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes. You should have 15-18 cups of cubed squash.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1 cup pumpkin: 318 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.