Arizona Chicken in Acorn Squash
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 6 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 12 slices
- 6 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from bottom of each squash half to allow them to lie flat. Place on a 15x10-in. baking sheet, cut side up; fill each with 1 teaspoon butter. Bake until fork-tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, chilies, celery, sour cream, green onions, olives, paprika and pepper; spoon into squash.
- Bake until filling is heated through and squash is tender, 20-25 minutes. Top with avocado and nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed squash half: 492 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 404mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 10, 2018
This was a great nutritious weeknight dinner. I love all-in-one dishes like this that have lots of veggies and protein in one, and my family liked the creamy texture and that it had some kick without being too spicy.