Arizona Chicken in Acorn Squash
Give stuffed acorn squash a taste of the Southwest with this comforting recipe. We love the crunch of the toasted almonds, heat of green chilies, and creamy texture of avocado. —Martha Sparlin, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 6 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 12 slices
- 6 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each squash crosswise in half; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from bottom of each squash half to allow them to lie flat. Place on a 15x10-in. baking sheet, cut side up; fill each with 1 teaspoon butter. Bake until fork-tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, chilies, celery, sour cream, green onions, olives, paprika and pepper; spoon into squash.
- Bake until filling is heated through and squash is tender, 20-25 minutes. Top with avocado and nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed squash half: 492 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 404mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Arizona Chicken in Acorn Squash in Taste of Home September/October 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.