Autumn Apple Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken thighs on both sides; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with apples.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in barbecue sauce, apple cider and honey; increase heat to medium-high. Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over chicken and apples. Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1/2 cup apple mixture: 333 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Oct 25, 2019
This is our new favorite autumn recipe. I used honey crisp apples, red onions, and chicken breast tenderloins. Then served it with roasted sweet potatoes. It was delicious, and my husband asks me to make it regularly now.
Sep 11, 2019
I'm wondering why you have to brown chicken in skillet first if the recipe says to remove skin?
Oct 30, 2018
Can I use bone in chicken breast for this recipe?
Apr 4, 2018
Really easy, and really good. I used honey crisp apples, and Sweet Baby Ray’s spicy and sweet barbecue sauce. I will definitely make this again, hubby loved it
Sep 15, 2017
We liked it, but Inthink I will take the advise of adding the apples later so they would be less mushy.
Dec 6, 2015
Made as directed. It was edible, but not something I will be making again.
Nov 23, 2015
The chicken was really tender, and smelled delicious. I think I will thicken the sauce next time and serve it over the chicken. As long as you use crisp apples (Gala or Fuji), it shouldn't be a problem.
Oct 15, 2015
Chicken was very tender. I replaced the cider with chicken broth and doubled it. I also added the apples after two hours.
Oct 13, 2015
Way too sweet.
Oct 8, 2015
Recipe was very good, however the apples once cooked did not taste good at all. Any suggestions?