Wouldn’t it be great to find a company-worthy dish that not only impresses with its taste, but with its nutrition numbers, too? That’s just what field editor Joanie Fuson of Indianapolis, IN was looking for...and what we were ultimately able to provide with her amazing rigatoni with bacon and asparagus. Joanie Fuson — Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Fill a 6-qt. stockpot 3/4 full with water; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 3 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Return water to a boil; cook rigatoni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in mozzarella cheese until melted.
- Drain rigatoni; return to pan. Stir in asparagus, bacon, parsley, salt, pepper and cream sauce. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p23
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Makeover Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review