For Sunday dinner or any time, this tender, fragrant chicken is special. —;Marguerite Marshall, Carencro, Louisiana
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Finely grate enough peel from lemon to measure 2 teaspoons. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice from one half. Set aside. Slice one garlic clove; place sliced garlic, 2 tablespoons basil and the remaining lemon half in the chicken cavity.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; rub with reserved lemon juice. Mince remaining garlic; combine with butter and reserved lemon peel. Rub mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining basil.
- Bake, uncovered, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Basil Chicken in Taste of Home February/March 2009, p32
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lemon Basil Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review