Layered Italian Casserole Recipe
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Italian tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cups (32 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, parsley and oregano; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Drain the spaghetti.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the spaghetti, cheese mixture and remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Layered Italian Casserole
Sort By :
Looking forward to trying this ~~ soon!
My husband & I love this recipe! It takes a little time to prepare but is worth it. I sometimes use ricotta instead of cottage cheese or sometimes use some of both (which is how I make my lasagne).
This dish tastes just like lasagna but is much easier to prepare. I used a jarred sauce to speed up the process even more and used ricotta instead of cottage cheese. Very good!
This turned out really good. My boys usually don't eat cottage cheese, but did not even realize it was in this dish. I would definately make it again! Yum...