"We can always count on our retired pastor for good advice and good recipes, like this thick and hearty soup," shares Kim Holliday of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. "Chock-full of hot dogs and vegetables, it quickly became my children's favorite."
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, potatoes, parsnips and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Add the hot dogs, milk, soup, water, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Hot Dog Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p40
Reviews for Hot Dog Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review