- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 5 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer with a third of the potatoes, half of the hot dogs and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining potatoes. Pour white sauce over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hot Dog Casserole
"Wouldn't even give this 1 star, if I could help it. This was just BLAH! Even after adding extra pepper and garlic salt. I even did the onions in the butter like others suggested, and added some cheese into the sauce, and also on top later. Still BLAH! Word of caution: Line some aluminum foil on the bottom of oven to catch the mess."
"We've been trying to find a decent recipe to use up some leftover hotdogs (we never get through an entire pack). Of all the ones we've found, this is definitely the best. I cut this in half because we had half a pack of hotdogs left. I used whole milk because that's what we had. It took about 50 minutes in my oven. We will definitely make this again. Takes a little longer than a normal week night dish but oh well :)"
"I thought this was very good everyone liked it. They said it was a keeper for another time. I think it would be good with a little bacon in it. I thought it reminded me of scalloped potato with ham."
"My 2 yr old and 5 yr old LOVED this dish. My teenager did too. Ok, so the entire family loved it!!"
"Wow, this is a great recipe!! My husband loved it, no changes made!"
"Every one loved it."
"This was a fun and easy casserole for both picky grandchildren and adults! Used high quality kosher hot dogs and sharp cheddar cheese. Used frozen hash browns and you can use saw meal white gravy to get that gourmet southern comfort food taste! This is a splurge ---and does the trick when you are in a fix for a fun and inexpensive meal for the family!"
"This was not good. Definitely not a big hit. I made as per the recipe with no changes."
"Very good and simple. Flavor would obviously change with each type/brand of hot dog used."
"Unbelievably awesome flavor....a real hit with my family! I used a whole onion, chopped; otherwise no changes. Definitely would make again."