- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Combine the first nine ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 4 batches (about 1 cup total).
- To prepare tacos: In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add 1/4 cup taco seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup beef mixture. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Reviews for Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
"I made a batch of this immediately after seeing it posted on Facebook. I used the seasoning mix w/o the beef the first time for a fish dish...fantastic blend of flavors and very versatile."
"Love this - and no sugar as in the pre-packaged seasonings. Will keep this on hand at all times. Thank you!"
"This was great! Nice and spicy and I love the fact it makes 4 batches. Thanks!"
"Good recipe, but I think I need to tweak it for my family's taste."
"Super easy to make!"
"Staple in the cupbaord now, no package mixes. Left out some of the salt..."
"This was really good. We liked the extra little zip to it (my 6 and 8 year-olds agreed). I will be using this from now on for taco night - which we have at least twice a month."
"I cook for my elderly mother so anything with cayenne I replace with paprika with just a bit of cayenne. I always use homemade seasoning mixes now and dressings because most packaged store bought has msg or some sort of bad preservatives in them."
"This is very similar to one I have used for a couple years. I added cornstarch to the one I usually make so did that with this one too, replacing the flour. This is good, it would have been a bit hot for my hubby so I reduced the cayenne to 1/2 tsp. My other recipe doesn't call for the coriander, I think it is a nice addition."
"This was very easy and fun to make with the kids! Even my husband liked this homemade taco seasoning!"