- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta. Cook until crisp. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture. Stir in crushed tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Holiday Tortellini Soup
"Everyone enjoyed it on a rainy cold evening with sandwich wraps."
"This is one of the best soup recipes I've ever made! This will become a regular for our dinners. The things I did differently was use broccoli instead of spinach and I topped it with an italian cheese blend of Mozzarella, Parmesean, Asiago, and Romano instead of just Parmesean. It was delicious!"
"Made this soup today and truly loved it."
"Easily the best soup I have every had. We make this ALL the time. I like to add a bit more tortellini though."
"my husband is not a soup guy. but this which he calls pizza soup, he has requested it twice in the last two weeks and the first day I made it had three helpings. I added some mushroom and a little bit cauliflower chopped small to it, as well as some sundried tomato seasoning. its GREAT"