This is my own recipe and it's a family favorite. The mixture of fruits and nuts helps make it a tasty treat.
- 3 cups whole red and green candied cherries
- 3 cups diced candied pineapple
- 1 package (1 pound) shelled walnuts
- 1 package (10 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl, combine cherries, pineapple, walnuts and raisins; set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Pour over fruit mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap tightly and store in a cool place. Slice with a serrated knife; bring to room temperature before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Fruitcake in Country December/January 2001, p51
Reviews for Holiday Fruitcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review