- 3 cups whole red and green candied cherries
- 3 cups diced candied pineapple
- 1 package (1 pound) shelled walnuts
- 1 package (10 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl, combine cherries, pineapple, walnuts and raisins; set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Pour over fruit mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap tightly and store in a cool place. Slice with a serrated knife; bring to room temperature before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Holiday Fruitcake
Sort By :
"Responding to Jeffyboyblues: I bought my candied fruit at Walmart...I bought glazed cherries and a container of mixed candied fruit as they did not have the candied fruit in separate containers. I have also seen it in other grocery stores...you might have to ask where in the store."
"WE also tried this cake this year and found it dry. Mine took a little longer to bake (ovens vary). I used 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening but I do not think that would cause dryness. The words "large eggs" can vary so...maybe that was it. The recipe says 'pour'... to me that mean like a cake/pancake batter. There was no way this batter poured. We had to scarp it out of bowl. The flavor is good and the cake seems a little more moist as it has set a couple of weeks. I used gold raisins and plumped them in a little spiced rum overnight. Did not have a rum flavor in the cake."
"Where do i buy candied fruits"
"I followed the directions EXACTLY. I used butter for the shortening... it came out beautiful, but turned out to be dry. My cake was done in one hour and fifty minutes, so watch the time if you bake this."
"I love the reviews and looking forward to making this fruit cake for this Christmas 2014. I wanted to inform you that Crisco comes in a butter flavor as well."