Holiday White Fruitcake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1-1/4 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 275°. Line bottoms of four greased 9x5-in. loaf pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a small bowl, toss candied fruit, raisins and walnuts with 1/2 cup flour. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in remaining flour. Fold in fruit mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 133 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 30, 2018
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever put almond and royal icing on this cake similar to the dark Christmas cakes ?
Oct 17, 2018
This is a GREAT recipe, I make it in small loaf aluminum pans and give as gifts. YUMMY
Dec 28, 2017
Very delicious. I cut the recipe in half. I used pecans and did not toast them. I also soaked the raisins in orange liqueur. I added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of rum extract to the cake batter. It is not necessary to use baking powder or baking soda in this recipe. It will still come out fantastic. I did need to bake it longer than the recipe indicates. I do recommend this recipe if you want a delicious fruitcake recipe that isn't dense and heavy and that is easy to make.
Dec 15, 2017
This is the second year I've made this. It's amazing! It's a cross between pound cake and fruit cake. I used a tropical dried fruit mix. I did not toast the walnuts. I chopped up the fruit a bit smaller to get a better distribution throughout. I made 8 mini loaves. and baked 50 minutes. To those who asked, no, it does not call for nor does it need baking powder or baking soda. Think pound cake. Neither of those in pound cake either."
Dec 14, 2017
Just a question..there is no baking powder or baking soda??? Is there someone that can please help me??
Dec 9, 2017
No one answered reneeh2010's question about the absence of baking soda and baking powder...And it's a very good question. I wish I had the answer to it!
Dec 9, 2016
LOVE this recipe and so much easier than most to make. I usually make three loaf pans and two smaller loaf pans out of this recipe. Best tasting fruit cake and keeps well. I do cut back a little on the sugar and throw in some pitted dates too and still comes out delicious. Don't be afraid to try it--well worth the effort.
Dec 2, 2016
The best fruit cake I ever made,instead of making 4 loaf's I made 8 small loaf's, and my husband said that I better make another batch. And they freeze well.
Dec 15, 2014
So buttery and delicious! Will be making every year.
Nov 29, 2014
can this cake be made in advance and frozen? Marlene