White Chocolate Banana Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating will after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 581 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2017
This is a very good cake and one of my family's' favorites.
Sep 24, 2013
I have always received rave reviews whenever I have made this cake - even from some people who claimed not to be banana cake lovers. It has always come out so moist - yum! I have followed the suggestion of previous reviewers and added less icing sugar to the frosting.
Dec 30, 2012
Wonderful - easy - makes good use of those left over banana's
Oct 9, 2012
Very good, moist cake. Used melted semi sweet chocolate chips instead of white chocolate and I threw in a couple of cups of blueberries and use blueberry sauce instead of frosting. Delicious!
Sep 30, 2012
This is a familly favorite and we make it a lot. It is a wonderful cake and yes, make it the day before you want to eat it. Flavors meld and gets moister with time. Must make in layers like this and not cupcakes or 9x13. Not as moist or good otherwise. I always line bottom of pans with parchment and make sure not to over cook. Also, icing is always made to taste so taste it before adding more powdered sugar. I usually make with 3.5 to 4 cups of sugar because I want to taste the cream cheese and not just sweetness. Must try!!!
Jul 26, 2012
Lovely cake. Gets better next day as flavours meld....."Icing is too sweet," that was my 5 year old grand daughters comment and she is right. I will make again but make icing less sweet. and less of.
Jan 13, 2012
I would never make this cake once - 581 calories per slice!
Jan 11, 2012
This cake is so moist. I put it in a 9 X 13 pan and bake it 55 minutes. I have made this many times and it is always good.
Aug 31, 2011
It has a real banana test, really good. Would make again, did butter instead of shortening. Would try more white chocolate. Frosting I change because of the comments that I appreciate. Only 1/2 cup butter and 3 cups sugar.
Jul 8, 2011
Going to make this tonight. It looks so good! I am going to change a few things though, because of what I have on hand......Making the cake the way it says except I'm putting it into a bunt pan. And instead of the frosting, I'm going to drizzle with melted white chocolate. Will let you know how it turns out!