White Christmas Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces chopped white candy coating or white baking chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL DECORATIONS:
- Melted white candy coating or white baking chips
- Red Sixlets candies and sprinkles
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in candy coating until blended. Cool 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in. square or 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in candy coating mixture. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition. Fold in coconut and pecans. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- If desired, pipe leaf designs with candy coating onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set. Decorate cake with Sixlets, sprinkles and leaves. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 622 calories, 33g fat (18g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 25, 2017
I took this to work for a Christmas party and people thought it was store bought. This cake is really moist and flavorful!!
Dec 21, 2014
Made this for company recently and it was a huge hit. Loved by everyone. Will definitely make again.
Apr 3, 2012
This cake is a rare treasure for take and appeal. My family went wild for this over the holidays. We are making it a new holiday tradition. The effort in making the cake is well worth the effort. I did not change anything. I did use my own vanilla I make from vanilla beans.