White Christmas Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces chopped white candy coating or white baking chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL DECORATIONS:
- Melted white candy coating or white baking chips
- Red Sixlets candies and sprinkles
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in candy coating until blended. Cool 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in. square or 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in candy coating mixture. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition. Fold in coconut and pecans. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- If desired, pipe leaf designs with candy coating onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set. Decorate cake with Sixlets, sprinkles and leaves. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 622 calories, 33g fat (18g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
I took this to work for a Christmas party and people thought it was store bought. This cake is really moist and flavorful!!
Dec 21, 2014
Made this for company recently and it was a huge hit. Loved by everyone. Will definitely make again.
Apr 3, 2012
This cake is a rare treasure for take and appeal. My family went wild for this over the holidays. We are making it a new holiday tradition. The effort in making the cake is well worth the effort. I did not change anything. I did use my own vanilla I make from vanilla beans.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.