Cherry Date Fruitcake
It's a Christmas tradition for me to serve this fruitcake at parties and to give it to friends and family. Jam-packed with nuts and cherries, it puts a new spin on a holiday mainstay.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1 pound diced candied pineapple
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) chopped pitted dates
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add the pecans, cherries, pineapple and dates; toss to coat. Beat eggs and apple juice; add to fruit mixture and mix well. Grease two foil-lined 9x5-in. loaf pans. Press half of the mixture into each pan.
- Bake at 300° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans; carefully remove foil. Brush loaves with corn syrup. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 292 calories, 14g fat (1g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Date Fruitcake in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.