Hobo Meatball Stew Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a bowl, combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with meatballs. Combine the water, ketchup, vinegar, basil, and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Hobo Meatball Stew
Sort By :
"I liked this, but the ketchup made it very sweet. Per other reviews, I also doubled the sauce but next time will probably use an 8oz can of tomato sauce instead."
"We really liked this; however, it didn't have much liquid after cooking. I would try doubling the ketchup, water, vinegar and basil next time."
"I have made this stew several times so far. Very good, yet so easy to make."
"potatoes need to cook longer"
"I thought the ketchup and vinegar was a bit overpowering with too much tomato flavor. I just couldn't taste any of the flavors from the ground meat and vegetables. I modified the recipe to use beef broth, consume tomato sauce and brown gravy mix instead of the the vinegar and ketchup. What a difference:)"