- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a microwave, microwave the chocolate, 1/4 cup water and butter until the chocolate and butter are melted; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; whisk in chocolate mixture.
- Set saucepan in ice and stir until cooled, about 5-10 minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Heavenly Chocolate Mousse
"I love this recipe. Tonight when I was making it, for the second time, everything that could go wrong did. My whipping cream was frozen and had to have someone run to the store, then I failed to read and forgot to whip the cream first, que hand mixer. The point is my mousse is still perfect!"
"Very good and chocolatey! My husband loved it. It made 4 small servings. I need to double it next time."
"This is a wonderful recipe, we are going to do it again this weekend."
"I loved this recipe. It was wonderful!"
"This was the best mousse I ever tasted! It was really easy to follow and everyone at my party loved it! it was really dark (like heavenly chocolate is supposed to be) so I added whipped cream on top right before serving it (so the cram wouldn't go flat). The first time i made this recipe I refrigerated it for only 4 hrs which was not even close to enough time! overnight is good, but if your making a really big batch and putting it in one huge bowl, i suggest refrigerating it for 2 days (that's what i did)!"
"This is hands-down my husband's favorite recipe. I make it for him alone. No one else is allowed to have any!"
"I didn't care for this Mousse. I found the recipe tasting like Whipping cream with chocolate syrup added. I added 3 egg yolks. The yolks were from large eggs. I think if I ever cook this again I would add 5 yolks. Something has to be done to make this recipe taste like a mousse and I think more egg yolks is what is needed."
"We made this recipe last year for Christmas Eve and everyone asked for more! I will be making it again tonight, but doubling the recipe this time!"