Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 stewing chicken (about 6 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash dried thyme
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a stockpot, combine the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pot. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Strain broth and skim fat; return to the pot. Add chicken and carrots.
- For noodles, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Beat egg and milk; pour into well. Stir together, forming a dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut into 1/2-in. strips; cut the strips into 1-in. pieces. Bring soup to a simmer; add noodles. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
Sort By :
"This soup is amazing and not very difficult to make. Homemade noodles take it over the top!"
"I have made this soup countless times over the past 5+ years. It's my favorite chicken soup. I usually forego the homemade noodles (mine never turn out right) and instead use 3 cups of cooked brown rice (healthier too!). Or you can use cooked elbow macaroni. Any way you make it, it is so delicious and easy to prepare."
"I tried this because I had never thought of using clove in chicken soup. Loved the flavor.noodles were unsuccessful. Dough was dry and hard to roll and noodles cooked up tough. This is only my second attempt at hand made noodles though."
"Easy easy easy!! This recipe was an immediate hit with my family, even the picky eater! Love it, will become a staple in our house for sure."
"I make gallons of this soup in the cold months. It freezes really well. It's a great way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey meat an bones as well."