Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 stewing chicken (about 6 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash dried thyme
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a stockpot, combine the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pot. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Strain broth and skim fat; return to the pot. Add chicken and carrots.
- For noodles, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Beat egg and milk; pour into well. Stir together, forming a dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut into 1/2-in. strips; cut the strips into 1-in. pieces. Bring soup to a simmer; add noodles. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
Sort By :
I have made this soup countless times over the past 5+ years. It's my favorite chicken soup. I usually forego the homemade noodles (mine never turn out right) and instead use 3 cups of cooked brown rice (healthier too!). Or you can use cooked elbow macaroni. Any way you make it, it is so delicious and easy to prepare.