- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Beef and Barley Soup
"Nice hearty flavour. Like a couple of previous reviewers, I added a couple of diced potatoes, a dash or Worcestershire sauce, a sprinkle of thyme and a bay leaf. I also used ground beef as I was out of round steak. A definite make again on a cold day."
"I and my Husband enjoyed this soup..Last night was the first time ever making it. The only changes I made was I added more pearl Barley and I used unsalted beef stock, I'm on a low sodium diet so I try to keep it as low as I can on my recipes. I would make this again."
"I made this quite some time ago and we enjoyed it. It has WAY too much sodium in it for us though. I did not add the salt, used low-sodium broth, added Mrs. Dash Original to get some flavor without the salt."
"Add a can of tomatos (cut-up) or a can of stewed tomatos,cut one can of broth if you want too."
"I was looking for recipes that the whole household could eat while one of our roommates is on a liquid diet after gastric sleeve surgery. I added extra barley because my grocery store only had the very small barley. While it was filling for those of us who could eat the whole soup, to him it just tasted like plain beef broth straight out of the can. Will probably add some more seasonings, like garlic and bay leaves, and a little Worcestershire sauce if I ever make it again."
"Even the kids liked this one!"
"too much sodium"
"I made this with leftover eye round that I cubed and browned in oil. This was exactly what I was looking for in a beef barley soup. Simply delicious!!!"
"Quick to put together, easy to make and tastes delicious ust as written. Oh yeah,and good for you too. Make it often now I found this recipe!!!"