- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Beef and Barley Soup
Sort By :
"I was looking for recipes that the whole household could eat while one of our roommates is on a liquid diet after gastric sleeve surgery. I added extra barley because my grocery store only had the very small barley. While it was filling for those of us who could eat the whole soup, to him it just tasted like plain beef broth straight out of the can. Will probably add some more seasonings, like garlic and bay leaves, and a little Worcestershire sauce if I ever make it again."
"Even the kids liked this one!"
"too much sodium"
"I made this with leftover eye round that I cubed and browned in oil. This was exactly what I was looking for in a beef barley soup. Simply delicious!!!"