Hearty Bean Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender; add the garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, tomato paste, chili powder and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Bean Stew
Sort By :
"This was delicious ,added bell pepper ,jalapeno , cayenne pepper and cumin. Put sour cream , cheese and green onion on top. Definitely will make again , its a keeper."
"This is definitely a tasty recipe. I've made it numerous times; it's a real hit with my family and I always double the recipe so we have plenty of leftovers to eat for days. My changes: I add extra chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt, and I add greens- spinach, chard, kale- and sometimes I'll add some meat, like cooked chicken and sausage. I also use twice as much broth so it is a little less thick. I usually put cilantro in it, either fresh or dried (if fresh I add it toward the end, as I do with the greens, so they don't get overcooked). Finally, I play around with the bean combo, and try different ones, such as pinto beans and black eyed peas. I top it with sour cream, green onion, and fresh parsley. It's always good!"
"Amazingly good! I thought the chili powder really brought out the sweetness of the onions and tomatoes. Oddly reminiscent of chutney :)"
"This is a fabulous recipe! You can increase the liquid a bit and make it into a soup. I add a bit of cooked rice to the soup and it tastes just like Campbell's Fiesta Vegetable soup...maybe better!"
"This recipe is fabulous and a welcome variation on regular chili! Very delicious and easy to make. I added about a teaspoon of ground cumin and served the stew over a little macaroni. A great meal for a cold night indeed!"