You could call this the "So Good Casserole", because that's what people say when they try it. It's a Southern specialty.—Marie Poppenhager, Old Town, Florida
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine grits, sausage and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Beat the eggs and milk; stir into grits mixture. Add the butter, pepper and remaining salt.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Grits 'N' Sausage Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p265
Reviews for Grits 'N' Sausage Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review