- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine grits, sausage and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Beat the eggs and milk; stir into grits mixture. Add the butter, pepper and remaining salt.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Grits 'N' Sausage Casserole
"OMG this is the freaking bomb!!! I fried chopped bell pepper, onion and minced fresh garlic with the sausage plus added more cheese to taste. Used 5 eggs instead of 3. Also Tony's Cajun seasoning instead of salt. Can't get better than this!!!"
"Love this casserole! Next time I make it, I'm going to substitute bulk Italian sausage for extra zing."
"This was good but I did not have sausage so I chopped weinners up in it instead and it was not as flavorful as I had expected. I think it would be much better with the sausage though for it lacked a little zing."
"I've been making this recipe for years, I double the eggs and use hot breakfast sausage. Of course that adds to the cook time...served w/ biscuits and sliced cantaloupe...yum!"
"This was okay, but I used polenta instead of grits. I had to triple the polenta in order for there to be enough to classify this dish as a casserole. I also left out the butter."