- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Place mashed potatoes in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the egg, cheese, onions and bacon bits. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in bread crumbs. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Fried Mashed Potato Balls
Sort By :
every one Loved them. Also when mixing my potatoes ,I mixed in some flour & mixed together. I made over or close to 100 as this was for a large dinner of about 27 people. I went by feel of the mixture. Also cooked in Deep Fryer and kept warmish/hot in oven. Another occasion I tried doing them the day before & heated in the oven.
I had the same problem with them falling to pieces in the oil. So I prepared another egg wash, dipped them again and then rolled them a second time in the bread crumbs before cooking them in the oil and that worked like a charm. They were perfect after that. I will definitely make them again using the "double dip" method. They were a huge hit with the family!!
Followed the recipe. The balls just fell apart into bread crumbs
Good recipe and i wonder how this would work using mac and cheese inside???
I found this recipe on a different site. You have to add flour to your potato mix to hold it together. I just eyed the flour, but it takes a bit to make them stay in a ball. Other than that, they were good. The more cheese the better also.