The key to making this recipe is to use mashed potatoes, which are firm from chilling. Serve with sour cream or ranch salad dressing on the side. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Place mashed potatoes in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the egg, cheese, onions and bacon bits. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in bread crumbs. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Fried Mashed Potato Balls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p145
Reviews for Fried Mashed Potato Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review