Fried Mashed Potato Balls Recipe
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Place mashed potatoes in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the egg, cheese, onions and bacon bits. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in bread crumbs. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Fried Mashed Potato Balls(10)
Sort By :
I had the same problem with them falling to pieces in the oil. So I prepared another egg wash, dipped them again and then rolled them a second time in the bread crumbs before cooking them in the oil and that worked like a charm. They were perfect after that. I will definitely make them again using the "double dip" method. They were a huge hit with the family!!
Followed the recipe. The balls just fell apart into bread crumbs
Good recipe and i wonder how this would work using mac and cheese inside???
I found this recipe on a different site. You have to add flour to your potato mix to hold it together. I just eyed the flour, but it takes a bit to make them stay in a ball. Other than that, they were good. The more cheese the better also.
First of all, people went nuts over these at my birthday party. I had a "ball" themed party, and we had lots of ball-type food, but these were the stars. So full of flavor!
My recommendation is to add 1/2 cup bread crumbs to the mixture. I found, by accident, that just rolling the potato mixture in bread crumbs prior to frying caused the balls to fall apart in the hot oil. The ones I made with bread crumbs in the mixture stayed together and came out looking like those in the picture.