Each year we wait for "strawberry time" here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We believe our strawberries are the best in the country! After picking them at a nearby farm, I can't wait to get home to make this pie.
- BOTTOM LAYER:
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- MIDDLE LAYER:
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- For bottom layer, place sliced strawberries in the pie shell. For middle layer, combine the mashed strawberries, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool for 15 minutes; pour over bottom layer. Arrange strawberry halves on top of pie. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Just before serving, whip cream with sugar and almond extract if desired until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie or garnish individual servings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Strawberry Pie in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p79
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fresh Strawberry Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review