- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup flaxseed
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, brown sugar, honey and 2 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in ground flaxseed and flaxseed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf; place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Melt remaining butter; brush over bread. Cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Flaxseed Bread in Country Woman June/July 2007, p37
Reviews for Flaxseed Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2012 Edited Sep. 3, 2014
"Delicious! I have been making this since I found it in Taste of Home years ago. It is a favorite of my family and now going to share it with my daughter-in-lawUpdate - It is almost two years since I reviewed recipe and it is still the best one I have found. I make various kinds of breads and this is #1. Thanks Jennifer for a delicious recipe!"