- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup whole flaxseed
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, brown sugar, honey and 2 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in ground and whole flaxseed until blended. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf; place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Melt remaining butter; brush over bread. Cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Flaxseed Bread in Country Woman June/July 2007, p37
Reviews for Flaxseed Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2012 Edited Sep. 3, 2014
"Delicious! I have been making this since I found it in Taste of Home years ago. It is a favorite of my family and now going to share it with my daughter-in-lawUpdate - It is almost two years since I reviewed recipe and it is still the best one I have found. I make various kinds of breads and this is #1. Thanks Jennifer for a delicious recipe!"