This recipe is perfect for gatherings, holidays, or as a special Sunday football snack. My kids love it and so do my friends and family. You can substitute butter for the olive oil, or any kind of steak for the flank steak. —Donna Evaro, Casper, Wyoming
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), cut into 36 slices
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic and basil; brush over baguette slices. Place on baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Top with mushrooms and mozzarella cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Top with sliced steak, Parmesan cheese and chives. Serve immediately. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Flank Steak Crostini in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p85
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Flank Steak Crostini
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review