Topped with ooey-gooey shredded cheese, this tender skillet chicken looks great and tastes even better. You'll get a kick out of its jalapeno zip. —Teresa Jones, Ashdown, Arkansas
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the mushrooms, onion and jalapeno in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain and discard marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Spoon vegetable mixture over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Smothered Chicken in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p28
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fiesta Smothered Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review