Eggplant Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set sausage aside.
- In the same skillet, saute eggplant and onion in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, basil and paprika; simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain pasta; stir into eggplant mixture. Add sausage.
- Spread half of the sausage mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread with ricotta cheese. Top with half of the cheese and remaining sausage mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant Sausage Casserole(5)
Sort By :
I am going to try this today, but I might just use a jar of sauce instead of tomatoes/paste.
I added mushroom, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt & pepper for extra flavors. I even added extra diced tomatoes & tomato sauce to keep it from being so dry, & it still turned out too dry. Was just OK so no, will probably not make it again. I was really disappointed for I love eggplant & sausage. Hubby said please do not make this again.
This was really good! The only thing I would change next time is less noodles. I, too, felt they were either too big or too many-- I couldn't fit the whole casserole in the 9x13. I wouldn't change anything else. The eggplant was a nice change!
This was very good I did use prego healthy sauce instead of the tomatoes and paste and also used chicken italian sausage everyone liked it
My family loves this casserole! We like it with a smaller noodle like a mini farfalle or an elbow as the penne seemed a little large the first time we made it. Also, you can just stir it all together and not layer it and it still tastes wonderful! we usually double it and freeze one.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Eggplant Casserole >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pork Casserole >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >