- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon peel; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and eggs until blended.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 20 times (dough will be slightly sticky). Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For filling, combine the apples, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Sprinkle filling to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Starting with a short side, fold a third of the dough over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 15 slices. Twist each slice a few times; pinch ends together, forming a small circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Easy Apple Danish in Best of Country Breads 2000, p87
Reviews for Easy Apple Danish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2013
"This is a great recipe!"