My bite-size mushroom pastries are hard to resist. For parties, I prep and freeze them ahead, then pop them in the oven when guests are on the way. —Isabella Michel-Clark, Sparks, Nevada
Featured In: 55 Snacks for Your March Madness Party
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, flour, salt and dill. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut circles with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place about 1 teaspoon filling on one side of each. Brush edges with egg; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
Place on ungreased baking sheets; brush egg over tops. Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Freeze Option: Cover and freeze unbaked turnovers on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, bake turnovers as directed, increasing time by 2-3 minutes. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Dilled Mushroom Turnovers in Taste of Home December 2015, p45
Reviews for Dilled Mushroom Turnovers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2016
"This is such a delicious recipe. I have made it twice and everyone loves it!"